Saturday 2 February 2008

Lemony Syllabub

Last weekend we went round to my mum & dads for a Jamie Oliver curry, a kind of belated birthday dinner for my brother as he was poorly the first time round. I offered to make pudding and decided something palette cleansing was in order.

I hadn't made or even eaten syllabub before but had been inspired after seeing the Tequila syllabub on Masterchef the other week (made by an online acquaintance). It was easy to make, though it started the evening before when I had to infuse some sugar, dessert white wine, lemon & lime juice. Served with some of the lovely Three Chimneys Shortbread it was quite pleasant. Though next time I'd put more lemon juice in as the sweetness took some of the flavour away.

Makes 6 servings
75g caster sugar
100ml sweet white wine
1 lemon
1 lime
300ml double cream, whipped

The night before - thinly pare the lemon and lime and squeeze out the juice. Put this in a bowl together with the wine and sugar. Leave to infuse overnight before straining into a bowl.

Fold in the cream and pour the syllabub into martini glasses or small pots.

Serve with homemade shortbread biscuits.


4 comments:

Jules said...

I don't think I've eaten syllabub before. I like the sound of this as it is refeshing.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks great and you make it sound so easy too. I haven't had this for ages.

I've tagged you for a Five Things About Me meme:

http://dinnerdiary.org/2008/02/03/five-things-about-us/

Hope you don't mind...feel free to ignore if it's not your thing!

G

Rosie said...

Hi Claire, syllabub is a lovely dessert and I've made an orange one before but I think yours sounds much better with lemon and limes!

I must bookmark this recipe and thank you for sharing this delicious dessert recipe :)

Rosie x

Cakespy said...

oooh, this sounds blissful!