Sunday 30 December 2007

Our Christmas Dinner (just the two of us)

Since we moved into our flat (3 years ago now) we have eaten Christmas dinner at my parents but then cooked our own dinner for two a few days later. Unfortunately I was working Thursday & Friday so didn't get a chance to do it until tonight. It was really nice, even if I have spent the majority of the day in the kitchen...

To start, we enjoyed some Champagne & Sloe Gin Cocktails We then enjoyed some simple tomato & basil bruschetta care of a Jamie Olive recipe - it was really delicious...
Followed by a traditional Christmas dinner: Turkey, The Best Ever Stuffing ™, pigs in blankets, roasted potatoes and parsnips (in goose fat, again) and some glazed carrots with caraway seeds. Of course we also had some gravy (the best I've made yet!) and my homemade cranberry sauce which was fantastic... the photo doesn't really do it justice as the battery went...For dessert I made Simon Rimmers Bounty Profiteroles. Need I say any more...
Hubby quite simply said that if we weren't already married, he'd ask me there & then after sampling this pudding (if only I'd have known that years ago ;o))

We finished off with an espresso made in our new espresso pot, the rest of the Moet and maybe a dash of Viognier.

Mmmmm. I love Christmas dinner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds great Claire - we usually do this too but have decided to do a three bird roast tomorrow instead.

Was the Best Ever Stuffing your recipe?

Rosie said...

WOW Claire what a lovely Christmas meal!! I have heard that Sloe Gin is a great tipple and added with Champagne it must have been extra special. You had me in your hold after reading from your tomato & basil bruschetta lol....

Wishing you a Happy New Year 2008!

Rosie x

Claire said...

Ginger, the recipe is a family one - vey simple but delicious.

Thanks Rosie. Champagne & Sloe Gin go together rather nicely ;)