Sunday 14 October 2007

Magi-mixing

I am loving my magimix -its letting me make and try new things and it speeds up others. For example:

New things
I quite like fish, but don't eat much of it - with the reason mostly being that Mr C doesn't really like fishy fish. He enjoys the Tuna Burgers I make but has never really enjoyed any of the salmon dishes I have tried.

Today, however, with the help of a fish booklet that fell out of Delicious Magazine we may now have a salmon dish to add to our menu. The salmon fillet is coated in a Chermoula which was very tasty and served with a light accompaniment of couscous...

For 2
2 salmon fillets

Chermoula
1 small garlic clove, chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
just less than 1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chopped red chili
Pinch saffron strands
1/2 tbspn lemon juice
small handful coriander & same of mint
1 tbspn olive oil
small pinch salt

Couscous
1 red pepper
175ml chicken stock
140g couscous
1 tbspn extra-virgin olive oil
1 knob of butter
1/2 lemon juice
1 tbspn chopped mint

Pre-heat oven to 200°c (fan)
Roast pepper for 30 mins & the pop in bag to cool - once cool remove skin seeds - chop finely
Once pepper is cooked tun oven up to 210°
Make the chermoula - put all chermoula ingredients into magimix & blend
Line baking tray with baking paper.
Season skin side of salmon with salt & pepper then spread with some chermoula.
Turn fillet over, season again and add chermoula.
Cover the baking tray with tin foil - seal tightly
Pop salmon in over & set timer for 12 minutes
As soon a s salmon goes in the oven, make sure the stock is in a pan & boiling. Take it off the heat, add the couscous & cover (keeping it off the heat).
After 5 mins, fluff up the couscous, add butter & olive oil and mix well - popping back on heat briefly to ensure its warm through.
Take off heat again and add lemon juice, roasted pepper, chopped mint and season well.
Serve couscous and salmon for a very tasty meal...


Speedy things
I've used the magimix to make cakes twice. The first time we weren't impressed by it but yesterday, due to time constraints, I used it to make some cupcakes and they worked much better. I did take a photo but the camera isn't brilliant so you'll have to wait until next time ;)

Its Mr C's birthday on Tuesday though so I will be baking again but I think I'll stick to my Dualit hand mixer for that!

Today I made some more bread & the magimix comes with a dough hook so I thought it silly not to give it a go. The outcome was a tasty fresh loaf and hardly any mess. All the ingredients are thrown in the magimix, it forms a dough ball and then you leave it in situ for half an hour. After this time you need to pulse the magimix 3 or 4 times and effectively, knock the dough back. The mixture then gets transferred to a big bowl and left to rise for 2 hours in the airing cupboard.

After two hours the dough is tipped out, gently moulded into a rectangle and placed in a loaf tin. I left it settle and rise again for 10 minutes whilst the oven heated up to 200°c. It cooked for about 35 minutes and produced a really nice loaf...

1 comment:

Jules said...

The loaf of bread looks fantastic. I love homemade bread. Even though we don't have room for one I keep on hinting to Ian I want a Magimix!

We stayed at an activity centre about 15 miles west from Welshpool. We did lots of walking, caving, and canoed up the River Severn which I really enjoyed. We were so lucky with the weather.

xxx